A popular saying goes thus “It is not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog”. Can this same thing be said as regards height when it comes to acting? From 5’3″ in to 5’5″ in (160 cm to 165 cm), let’s look into actors that have done pretty well!
160cm / 5’3 in
- Davy Jones best known as a member of the Monkees a singing group was also an actor. He said because of his body physique during his army physical, he did not weigh enough to be inducted. He sure weathered the passing of years better than his other band mates; this might have been possible partly because of his compact size.
- “I usually wear sunglasses when I am in public except when I need an ego boost and want to be recognized” David Faustino said. Primarily known as Bud Bundy on the FOX sitcom Married… with Children; David remains same height even after the iconic role years back. With a height of 160cm, he remains charming and has an ever-sunny disposition.
- Devon Murray is an Irish actor best known for his role as Seamus Finnigan in the Harry Potter film Series. He was sent by his parents to the Billie Barry when he was six and in the space of two weeks he landed an ad for Tesco television. He made his breakthrough in the 1999 movie, Angela’s Ashes. He enjoys horse riding, rollerblading, skateboarding and playing on his PC.
- American born actor Jaye Davidson of a Ghanaian father and English mother is best known for the 1992 movie, The Crying Game where he was the transgendered Dil. For this role as Dil, he was found by a casting associate at a wrap party and being an androgyne, he got the role. Because of his distaste for fame, this Oscar nominee retired from acting and went into fashion and modelling.
- Misfits star, Finn is played by Nathan McMullen who also stands a short height at 5’ 3” for a male. For his role as Finn, he had to get his orange jumpsuit tailor made for him due to his height and build. In misfits, he stands notably shorter than the rest of the cast and he is often ridiculed for his naivety and optimism. On some occasions, he is judged by his height.
161cm / 5’3.5 in
- Height has never been a factor to consider in success in Hollywood. Yes, Michael J. Fox is short but the movies he has made speak for themselves. The Back to the Future trilogy and Mars Attacks are just few of the awesome movies from this millionaire. Frankly, his height was never really a bother to him as he said girls thought it was pretty cute.
- Toby Jones is one film genius that soaks in his character so well that you never think he is being anything other than himself. A memorable moment for him was when he was one of the seven dwarves in the worldwide hit Snow White and The Hunt. His unique looks have helped him play a range of flawed heroes.
- Jason Marsden with over 150 credits to his name has indeed made a dent in the entertainment industry.
- Martial arts pro, Bradley James Allan played his role perfectly in Gorgeous. He is short but well built and a master at stunts.
- Dudley Moore, the gifted comedian started out as a musical prodigy as a child. He was one of the short actors in the late 20th Century, more so; one of the very few to do so in romantic comedies. He felt inferior because of his class, strength, deformed left foot and height. He started out comedy a defence mechanism he opted for while he endured bullying during his adolescents. Moore handled all of these issues well and set an example the way he was always valiant about everything. Michael Parkinson, a British interviewer said ‘women loved his little boy lost quality and even when he was being funny, there was always something slightly forlorn about him’.
162cm / 5’4 in
- Joe Pesci was the little mobster in Goodfellas.
- Daniel Radcliffe is a living proof that height is not everything. From taking down Lord Voldemort to rocking his Defence Against the Dark Art classes to being stellar at Quidditch; Daniel Radcliffe shows that height doesn’t cut it.
- Seth Green has been on the screens since he was seven. Height is not an issue for him because his wife towers over him at a 5’7″ in but most times seen with sky high heels.
- American actor, Breckin Meyer says he is a little shorter than he thought he would be in person but this has in no way hindered his success in acting.
- John Galecki best known for his role as Leonard Hofstadter in The Big Bang Theory is a handsome and healthy looking actor with an pretty large fan base.
163cm / 5’4.3 in
- Jason Alexander is an actor, producer and a film director. He played George Costanza in the hit TV series Seinfield.
- Buster Keaton, a film comedian and director pioneered silent comedy in the 1920s.
- Physically fit Scott Caan plays a role in the Tv series Hawaii Five-0.
- Frankie Muniz says he was never bothered by his height, instead, he loves being short!
- Mocked earlier in life for being so short; Kevin Hart is one great proof that in Hollywood and entertainment height is not a major factor. He has done far beyond actors of taller physiques. He created a niche for himself in comedy and his stature certainly does not stop him from being the centre of attention.
164cm / 5’4.7 in
- Jackie Earle Haley
- Nathan Lane though short is known for his roles in The Birdcage, The Lion King and so on…
- Woody Allen jokes about the issue of his height. He once said less seriously that he was unable to make the chess team because of his height.
- Ernie Reyes Jr. is a martial arts actor popularly known for his work on The Last Dragon, The Red Sonja, The Run Down and the likes.
- The heart and soul he brings to the set always leaves us the impression that his characters are so much larger than his actual size. Fantasy film super star Elijah Woods played the Hobbit Frodo in the Lord of the Rings.
- Bob Hoskins comes to mind when you think about Who framed Roger Rabbit. He got his first movie role by accident and since then has risen to the top of the ladder in Hollywood. He was obviously not so bothered about his height because he was seen severally in pictures being towered over by his daughter and others. He says he owes his confidence to his parents!
165cm / 5’5 in
- King Fu expert, Jet Li is one of the actors that fall in the short category. He was a wushu child prodigy and at the young age of 12, he had started winning first place. At his first winning place, he was noticeably shorter than the 2nd and 3rd place medallists but this did not stop his progress on the success ladder.
- Kevin Pollack started from stand up comedy and from there worked his way to our TV screens big time!
- The first actor nominated for both an Oscar and Emmy in the same year. Peter Falk’s famous role was his character as ‘Columbo’ even though now he says he cannot remember playing this role most likely because of his neurological health issues.
- Dustin Hoffman attests that being tall is not a necessary factor for success in the entertainment industry. He even is widely recognized as one of the finest actors in history.
- Iconic english comic actor, Charlie Chaplin is one of the great successes in the movie world. He was so renowned that a museum was opened in Switzerland in his honour.